Needless to sit at home and do self-development?
Yes, but not necessarily
Or to give preference to University?
...in parallel. The fact that one does not exclude the other.
In my opinion the University is necessary because:
1) Fundamental knowledge (which will constitute the basis for further self-improvement)
2) internship opportunities
3) the Opportunity to study on exchange in other countries
4) the Possibility of moving to study in other countries, for example, after the first year or to graduate
6) And Yes, theoretical knowledge and practical skills development
7) Diploma, which is useful at least in order to go to work in another country
1) This should be the normal University in MSK or SPb.
2) All that I have listed can be obtained without University education, but you must have great motivation and understanding of what is really needed. Paragraph (7) also depend on the country, requirements are different everywhere, but typically 5+ years of experience can replace a degree.
University is significantly easier if you really learn to practice independently and not to forget about the internship.
It is important to remember that a University education guarantees nothing, as well as self-learning. There are many examples of successes and failures in both cases. It all depends mainly on human and coincidence: it is possible with the degree of candidate of Sciences rivet landings, and it is possible and without education to lead the R&D Department in companies such as Google.
Unfortunately, the situation is similar to the first, I watched more often than close to the second... But it depends on many factors. In my opinion, the main reason for this: lack of understanding of what one is doing. This is one of the reasons that in Russia a record number of people with degrees in law/Economics, etc, are working, say, at the reception.